North Island Adventure Extension
March 13th-19th, 2020
Whether you’re joining us on our Epic New Zealand South Island Tour or not, this adventure is not to be missed! All are welcome to join this extension option only! (ask about reduced rate since no domestic flight needed)
To complete our New Zealand experience come with us to the North Island, a completely different landscape than the South Island, rich in geothermal activity and home to iconic volcanoes such as Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe (filmed in “Lord of the Rings” as Mt. Doom). We’ll explore stunning black sand beaches backed by towering cliffs & the largest volcanic cone in Auckland. Experience & photograph fascinating geothermal activity in Rotorua and become immersed in Māori culture. In just one week, we’ll get to see & photograph a completely different range of landscapes than the South Island.
Don’t forget to check out our main group tour of New Zealand’s South Island!
E-mail us at email@example.com for the daily itinerary!
* 6 nights / 7 days throughout the best of New Zealand’s North Island
* Private Kiwi guide throughout with extensive knowledge of the North Island!
* Breakfast Everyday
* 2 Dinners (Including a traditional Māori hāngi feast)
* Domestic Flight from Christchurch (CHC) → Auckland (AKL) INCLUDED (*Discounted rate available if only joining North Island program-please inquire)
Auckland → West Coast → Rangitoto Island: 2 Nights
On arrival at the Auckland International Airport, we’ll waste no time and head straight into the north island’s capital. Known as the “City of Sails”, NZ’s largest city boasts a beautiful harbor filled with sailboats. A drive around the city highlights takes us to some fantastic lookout points for great panoramic views and pictures!
– Auckland War Memorial Museum: Our visit here is a great way to discover the country’s history and culture including a memorial to those who sacrificed their lives in wartime. It has pre-eminent Māori and Pacific collections (our favorite part!), significant natural history resources, and major social and military history collections, as well as decorative arts and pictorial collections.
– Muriwai’s Black Sand Beaches & the Gannet Colony: This small community on the west coast has an impressive shoreline with cliff-top trails leading to a huge gannet colony! Easy access and viewing platforms let us get up close without disturbing the birds to capture amazing images! The trail and colony overlook a huge, volcanic, black sand beach that runs along most of the town’s coastline.
– Rangitoto Volcano Island: Part of the massive Auckland volcano field, the Rangitoto volcanic cone is the largest of them all. At 1000 ft, the last eruption was only 600 years ago. At the time, the Polynesian Māori were living on a small neighboring island & certainly witnessed it. In fact, footprints have been found solidified in ash, and oral history details several generations living here before the eruption.
– Volcanic Exploration: Journey through rugged lava crop on board a 4WD road-train, while learning all about the 600-year-old volcano’s fiery past. We’ll arrive at the base of the summit, and from here it’s just a short climb to the very top for epic views & photographs.
Waitomo → Rotorua: 2 Nights
– Waitomo underground caves: After making our way south through “King Country” we arrive in the small town of Waitomo famous for their mysterious limestone caves filled with glowworms. We’ll explore & photograph this fascinating underground world on a guided walking tour through the ethereal atmosphere, and marvel at the curtain-like limestone formations, crystal tapestries, and shimmering glow worms!
Rotorua: “Catch a whiff of Rotorua’s sulfur-rich air and you’ve already had an introduction to NZ’s most dynamic geothermal area. The Māori revered this place, naming one of the most spectacular springs Wai-O-Tapu (Sacred Waters). Today 34% of the population is Māori, with cultural performances and traditional hāngi (steam-cooked banquets) as big an attraction as the landscape itself.” – Lonely Planet
– Wai O Tapu: Here we’ll feel the “pulse of the earth”, famous for boiling mud pools, exploding geysers, and vibrant colored sulfur pools (yes this place is stinky but so worth it for the photography alone!).
– “Te Puia”: More colorful travertine terraces to photograph here but the highlight will be the Maori cultural experience with an authentic Hangi, or earth oven, feast with dancing and music that’s still a rich part of the Maori tradition today. (Like a New Zealand Luau, except better!)
Taupo → Tongariro National Park → Auckland 2 Nights
– Huka Falls: Experience awesome views of Huka Falls (New Zealand’s highest volume waterfall) on a hike to photograph the great rushing beast. A real New Zealand experience with crystal clear water, birdlife, and native bush lined riverbanks.
– Tongariro National Park: After a good night’s sleep by the enormous crater lake, Lake Taupo, we’ll spend the day in NZ’s oldest and most famous national park. More recently made famous from its role in the Lord of the Ring’s trilogy, the park is based around the three volcanic cones of Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, and Ruapehu, and combines excellent hiking with spectacular scenery. An easy-moderate hike will be offered with lots of stops throughout the park for amazing photo opportunities!
* PhotoFly Travel Club adventures are laid back when it comes to photography. They are not workshop style based tours and you do not need to be an avid photographer to join. All are welcome!
* International Airfare is not included. We are happy to help you find a good flight as always!
– Flying into Christchurch (CHC) & Departing from Auckland (AKL) if joining South Island Main Program first).
– Flying into and out of Auckland (AKL) if joining North Island Extension Only. (*Discounted rate available if joining North Island program ONLY (since no domestic flight needed)-Please Inquire)
* All Taxes, Fees, & Transfers Included
* This NZ North Island extension is an add-on to our New Zealand South Island Adventure! (All are welcome to join this extension option even if you’re not coming on the main South Island trip!)
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the daily itinerary!
*For our solo travelers, we will pair you up with someone of the same sex unless single occupancy is requested.
Single Supplement: $575.00
*Refundable Deposit: 600.00
*Notice: Payment online incurs 3.2% processing fee (automatically added to shopping cart). Payments from outside the USA incur a 4.5% processing fee. Please mail payment to avoid fee to:
Local Planet Travel
1754 Woodruff Road, #211
Greenville, SC 29607
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
*There is a $100.00 administrative fee for all cancellations. Cancellations made 120 days or more before the trip departure date are fully refundable except for the $100 fee. Cancellations less than 120 days before the trip departure date will receive no refund of the full amount due. No refunds on unused portions of the tour. Credit card fees and paypal processing fees cannot be refunded. After airline tickets are issued, airline cancellations are per the airline’s policy and are usually non-refundable and changeable with a fee plus new ticket price. Travel insurance strongly encouraged (ask us about policy options)
*Hotels subject to change based on availability
CST # 2101181-40