January 25th – February 6th, 2022
This one is going to be special. Join us to the forgotten continent of Antarctica for a life-changing adventure you will cherish forever. This "lost world" truly is like traveling to another planet! The unbelievable landscapes, animals, colors, and light make Antarctica a premiere destination for photographers, adventure travelers, nature lovers, history buffs, & just about every other type of traveler out there! Our travel club has partnered with the best specialized operator in the industry taking groups to the Arctic and Antarctic for over 25 years! Incredible wildlife photos (penguins, whales, seals, giant sea birds...), landscape photos, free photography workshops, free camping (optional), & zodiac landings on the great frozen mass to explore and experience the continent on foot is just "the tip of the iceberg" on this journey (pun intended!).
P.S. It's obviously quite expensive getting to the most remote place on earth, but we encourage you to research other options out there so you can see how incredible our value is!
Please e-mail us for the day by day itinerary (email@example.com)
Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego: Gateway to Antarctica:
Our journey begins in the "southernmost town in the world": Ushuaia, Argentina.Arrive a night early (optional) to catch up on jet lag and have some time to explore this stunningly beautiful town at the bottom of the world.
"A busy port and adventure hub, Ushuaia is a sliver of steep streets and jumbled buildings below the snowcapped Martial Range. Here the Andes meets the famed Beagle Channel in a sharp skid, making way for the city before reaching a sea of lapping currents. Ushuaia takes full advantage of its end-of-the-world status, and an increasing number of Antarctica-bound vessels call into its port... That said, with a pint of the world’s southernmost microbrew in hand, you can happily plot the outdoor options: hiking, sailing, skiing, kayaking, and even scuba diving." - Lonely Planet
* Optional Pre-Night Recommended
Getting There...(~3 nights)
* Night 1: We sail the mountain-fringed Beagle Channel for the remainder of the evening.
* Day 2-3: Crossing the Drake Passage. Along the way we'll enjoy fascinating lectures by experts in marine biology, mountaineering, Antarctic research, & more. Take in the cool salt breezes, rolling seas, & maybe even a fin whale spouting up sea spray!
- Wildlife Along the Way: Wandering albatrosses, grey-headed albatrosses, black-browed albatrosses, light-mantled sooty albatrosses, cape pigeons, southern fulmars, Wilson’s storm petrels, blue petrels, and Antarctic petrels are a few of the birds we might see.
Exploring Antarctica...(~5-6 nights)
"No place on Earth compares to this vast white wilderness of elemental forces: snow, ice, water, rock. Antarctica is simply stunning." - Lonely Planet
"Antarctica’s surreal remoteness, extreme cold, enormous ice shelves and mountain ranges, and myriad exotic life forms invariably challenge you to embrace life fully...Antarctica is home to some of the world’s most extraordinary species. Some, such as the enormous whales, migrate from afar, while others, including the Weddell seal and emperor penguin, remain close to the continent. Antarctica possesses an unnameable quality. Call it inspiration, call it grandeur…it is simply the indescribable feeling of being a small speck in a vast, harshly beautiful land. To let our minds soar in a place nearly free of humankind’s imprint: this is magic." -Lonely Planet
* Wake up to the gray stone peaks sketched with snow, towers of broken blue-white ice, and dramatically different wildlife below and above.
* Places we might visit (specific sites vary depending on sea conditions, weather, regulations, & other unpredictable circumstances)
Neumayer Channel: Great for multiple basecamp activities from the protected waters around Wiencke Island. We can enjoy the splendors of this alpine environment at sea with Zodiac and kayaking trips, possible snowshoe hikes, and soft-climb mountaineering options farther inland.
Pléneau & Petermann Islands: Sail through the stunning and world famous Lemaire Channel in search of Adélie penguins and blue-eyed shags. Also a good chance we'll encounter humpback, minke whales, & leopard seals here! Kayaking, glacier walks, and more ambitious mountaineering trips are the potential activities of this location.
Neko Harbor: An epic landscape of mammoth glaciers and endless wind-carved snow, Neko Harbor offers opportunities for a Zodiac cruise and landing that afford the closest views of the surrounding alpine peaks.
Paradise Bay: We have the chance to make camp here like a true polar explorer (but with a better tent), enjoying a supreme overnight Antarctic adventure! *This is an optional experience, see more info below...
Activities & Adventures
* Shore Excursions and Zodiac Cruises:
Zodiac rides emphasize active wildlife and nature experiences. Guided shore excursions, walks, wildlife spotting, and Zodiacs to/from landings are all included!
* Camping: An exciting open-air camping option for an intensive Antarctic wilderness experience! Special gear and field equipment is provided: tents and bivouac bags (a lightweight alternative to tents) that are wind and waterproof, as well as mattresses and polar sleeping bags. *Optional BUT INCLUDED for those interested
* Hiking: Expand upon the normal shore walking program on optional easy, moderate, and more demanding hikes in the vicinity of the landingsites. Hiking is free of charge.
* Optional Kayaking: We hope to offer 3-4 days of kayaking. Basic kayak experience is welcome but not required. Physical fitness is essential to participate. Kayaks and neoprene wet suits are provided. *For more details & prices, please refer to the daily itinerary.
* Photography Workshops: Workshops for beginner & advanced photographers under the supervision of an on-board photo expert. Everybody is welcome to participate, no previous experience required. During cruise days, we can listen to photo lectures and learn more about objects, exposures, and photo composition.
* Mountaineering: A more technical and strenuous activity designed for those of us who want to venture beyond the shore, reaching higher ground for more expansive vantages. We'll walk mostly across glaciated environments in rope parties under the leadership of a certified mountain guide & assistants. Physical fitness is essential. Special glacier equipment is provided (ropes, carabiners, harnesses, helmets, crampons, and ice axes). *Optional BUT INCLUDED for those interested
* Workshops: Most of our time will be spent experiencing & photographing the landscapes & wildlife of the polar region but during cruise days we'll sometimes have the option of partaking in a wide range of onboard interactive workshops and activities. Certain topics may include navigation, astronomy, geology, & botany along with in-depth presentations that explore the fascinating life of polar whales, land mammals, birds, and the other animals that call these regions home. *Availability of particular workshops depends on the availability of the experts who guide them
* As always this entire trip will be amazing for photography and at least one photographer from the crew will be on hand to help those who want to learn more about using their camera's, taking better pictures, etc. (PhotoFly Travel Club adventures are laid back when it comes to photography. They are not workshop style based tours and you do not need to be an avid photographer to join. All are welcome!)
* International Airfare is not included. We are happy to help you find a good flight as always! (Flying into Ushuaia (USH) on January 23rd or 24th 2022 & departing from Ushuaia (USH) on February 6th 2022) *Most flights will not arrive in time for embarkation on January 25th so guests may need to arrive one night early on January 24th, 2022
*Don't forget to e-mail us for the daily itinerary for our Antarctica small group tours (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Price (Per Person, Sharing Room):
*For our solo travelers, we will pair you up with same sex UNLESS single occupancy is requested to have your own room.
Quad Cabin (4 twin beds/both bunk beds; 2 portholes): $9395.00
Twin Cabin Porthole (2 twin beds; 2 portholes): $11,250.00
Twin Cabin Window (2 twin beds; 2 windows): $11,995.00
Twin Cabin Deluxe (2 twin beds; small sofa; 3 windows): $12,795.00
Superior Double (1 double bed; 1 sofa bed; 2 windows): $13,895
*For our solo travelers, we will pair you up with same-sex UNLESS single occupancy is requested to have your own room.
Single Room Porthole: $18,850.00
Single Room Window: $19,545.00
Single Room Deluxe: $20,995.00
Superior Single Room: $22,195.00
*To pay in full for single room price options, please e-mail email@example.com
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
*50% of deposit is refunded for all cancellations made 190 days (July 19th 2021) or more prior to trip departure date. An additional 100 USD admin fee is subtracted from the total refund. Cancellations less than 190 days (July 19th 2021) prior to the trip departure date will receive no refund of the full amount due. No refunds on unused portions of the tour. Credit card fees and paypal processing fees cannot be refunded. After airline tickets are issued, airline cancellations are per the airline’s policy and are usually non-refundable and changeable with a fee plus new ticket price. Travel insurance strongly encouraged (ask us about policy options).
COVID Cancellation Policy – Local Planet Travel Services OR Guest may cancel this reservation if the USA or country(s) we are visiting mandates a country-wide closure due to COVID. If this happens, you would receive a full refund. If guest chooses, the funds can remain on file and be applied for any future tour with PhotoFly Travel Club. *Please note bank merchant service fees when using a credit card are non-refundable.
*Hotels subject to change based on availability
*We also accept no fee payments via Venmo & Zelle. Should you wish to pay via either method see the instructions below:
Venmo: Send trip payments to @photofly (www.venmo.com/photofly)
Zelle: Send trip payments to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If mailing a check, please reserve your spot via the above trip page and select "check payments" on the checkout page.
CST # 2101181-40