With the Olympics coming to a close this past weekend, many of us enjoyed watching the games in Japan from the comfort of our living rooms. Since the lockdown is still underway in Japan, no fans or tourists were allowed to enjoy this great country. Next year, that will all be over and we’re excited to take our travel club back to this island nation filled with unparalleled beauty, world-class cuisine, and fascinating culture. Don’t miss our Wonders of Japan adventure next summer. It always sells out fast! More details below…
LAST spot available on our Israel & Jordan Adventure.
More trip overviews below
Wonders of Japan
June 11th – June 20th, 2022
Tokyo: 2 Nights
- Privately guided tour throughout Tokyo (Meiji Shrine, Harajuku Fashion District, Imperial Palace Plaza, Asakusa Kanon Temple, Ginza area)
- The Electric Town: Experience Akihabara, an otherworldly place filled with bizarre “Japanime” oddities, neon signs, and streets & alleys lined with vendors selling every type of new and used electronics you can think of!
- Asakusa Kanon Temple (Sensoji Temple): See and photography Tokyo’s oldest and most famous Buddhist Temple.
- Meiji Shrine: Dedicated to the deified spirits of Emperor Meiji and his consort, Empress Shoken, the shrine was completed in 1920, eight years after the passing of the emperor and six years after the passing of the empress. The importance of this dynastic ruler resulted in the naming of the entire Meiji Period in Japanese history, thus making the shrine one of Tokyo’s most famous landmarks.
Takayama: 2 Nights
- Takayama Morning Market
- Takayama’s Old Town
- Optional Hida Folk Village Tour
Hiroshima & Charming Miyajima Island: 1 Night
- Privately guided tour of Hiroshima: Memorial Peace Park, Museum, & A-Bomb Dome
- Miyajima Island: UNESCO World Heritage Site, Itsukushima Shrine (Floating Gate)
Kyoto: 4 nights
- Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavillion): Covered with 18 carat gold leaf, this three story structure was originally built by the Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu in 1397.
- Monkey Park Iwatayama: While there won’t be any snow (thankfully), these Japanese macaques, also known as snow monkeys, are the northernmost-living nonhuman primates in the world! There bright red faces and human-like expressions make them ideal candidates for some awesome images and “portraits”. We’ll meander up a small hill to reach the park with a nice overlook filled with these feisty apes!
- Okochi Mountain Villa: The former “pad” of the popular samurai film star Okochi Denjiro (1896-1962), this famous villa consists of several beautiful gardens and buildings, including living quarters, tea houses, and a zen meditation hall. After exploring the grounds, we’ll enjoy matcha green tea which Japan has become so famous for. A unique “Buddhist Style” lunch will follow.
- Gion District (The Old Geisha Quarter) & Optional Geisha Photo Shoot: Experience the world famous Geisha’s in their ancient district of Gion. For those interested (not included) we’ll get to have an incredible experience in a local house with a geisha! A private photo shoot will be arranged along with a Q&A to get the best possible shots in preferable lighting and learn about the amazing traditions and history of the Geisha culture dating back thousands of years! This is truly a unique experience during our time in Kyoto that few travelers get to say they’ve had.
- Fushimi Inari Shrine: Visit and photograph the famous Kiyomizu Temple, best known for its wooden stage that juts out 13 meters above the hillside below. The stage affords visitors a nice view of the numerous cherry and maple trees that erupt in a sea of color in spring and fall, as well as skyline view of Kyoto in the distance.
Travel Club Update: COVID-19
PhotoFly Travel Club takes our current global pandemic extremely seriously. As such, a number of our 2020 adventures have had to be cancelled & postponed like most in our travel industry. We want nothing more than all of our members to stay healthy & happy during these trying times. We hope everyone is playing their part by social distancing as much as possible. The more people who properly follow this crucial tactic in our country, and everyone around the world, the faster we will conquer and come out stronger & better prepared when this happens again.
As of today, we remain hopeful that travel will become feasible and safe again for most travelers early next year. In fact many countries, including most of Europe, have been on the decline for months now. It’s important to acknowledge that these are mainly countries that have enacted strict social distancing measures much sooner and in a more timely manner than the USA has been able to. Good news is most of the countries on our upcoming calendar fit this description! For more details about the predictions and scientific modeling in each state AND many countries around the world go here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/ (you can select any state or country for the location specific predictions)
Enhanced Procedures & Safety Measures
As we get ready to explore the world with you again soon, our travel club has begun to implement new guidelines and practices for the “Post-Covid World”. Some of them are listed below. Safety is #1 and the ability to experience a destination without limitations due to the pandemic is #2
b. Sanitizer available at all times/ Surface Cleanings done constantly
c. Social distancing practices as much as possible & no contact health/temperature checks
d. Small Groups Only = Lower Risk. Only time will tell and we’re following the situation very carefully. Our pledge is to share nothing but scientific evidence and advice given by the CDC and World Health Organization (WHO). We will base our decisions in the coming months solely on these two sources.
We know this is going to be a difficult time for all of us, in a myriad of ways. PhotoFly Travel Club is committed to building amazing experiences for years to come. We will get through this together and come out on the other side with even more amazing trips.
We wish everyone nothing but the best navigating this crisis. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all to remain healthy and persevere until we overcome.
Much love and gratitude to all of our members,
Steve, Andrew, Catalin, Michelle, Raya, & the rest of our PhotoFly Team!
Spread the word about our travel clubs! If you know any friends, colleagues, or family that love to travel invite them to join! It’s free and all are welcome! The larger we get the more trips we can plan each year…
Any questions feel free to contact us anytime as always!
Travel Club Organizer: Steve Juba
978 479 4527
*Please always review our cancellation and refund policy located at the bottom of every trip page before making payments. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions.