Ideally, 1 suitcase & 1 small overnight suitcase/carry on bag (for the expert travelers see if you can come with only one small carry on!). An additional camera gear backpack/bag is also OK.
Domestic Flight Baggage Restrictions:
Hand luggage: Up to a maximum weight of 10 kg and a maximum size of 55x40x20 CHECKED
BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE (ONE checked bag per person)
The maximum weight for CHECKED BAG: 23 kg (50LBS)
- T shirts (hand washable, fast drying preferred)
- Long sleeve Shirts/sweatshirts
- Shorts (hand washable, fast drying preferred)
- light weight jacket/rain jacket w/ hood
- jeans/pants/ /1-2 dresses max (hand washable, fast drying preferred)
- 1 pair very comfortable shoes for walking
- Stable hiking shoes or sneakers
- Debit card for ATM withdrawals
- Credit card
Cash in new US dollars (to change to Euros) *no tears or markings can be on USD
* ATMs widely available. Credit cards accepted in most hotels and restaurants. Smaller restaurants and shops only take cash.
Documents (and backup photocopies):
- Driver’s license
- Travel Insurance confirmation (if you purchased)
- Money belt
- Sealable plastic baggies
- Camera, lenses, extra batteries, extra memory cards and related gear (tripod optional)
- Large & small ziplock bags to protect cameras and other technology in rain
- Empty re-useable water bottle
- Insect repellent
- Walking/hiking poles (*If you do not hike at least once per month we highly recommend.)
- After bite
- Travel towel
- Alarm clock/ cell phone alarm clock
- Earplugs – especially if sharing room!
- First aid kit
- Your medicine (labeled)
- Anti-bacterial hand lotion
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- First aid kit including:
- Prescription medicines
- Mosquito repellent
- Antibiotic cream
- Ace bandage
- Pain reliever
- Lip balm
- Motion Sickness Medication (Dramamine or Bromine)
- Hat/ Umbrella/ AND Light rain jacket
- Power converter/ Plug Adapter: European (Plug adapter is fine and you only need power converter if you are bringing your own hair dryer) https://www.adaptelec.com/Country-Specific-Answers/Electrical-Plug-Outlet-and-Voltage-Information-for-Spain
- Personal contacts address list (email and emergency contact info).
PLEASE REMEMBER TO PACK LIGHT!
Weather in October
In Barcelona, October days are still sunny and warm with the sweltering humidity of August all but passed, We’ll enjoy this warm and sunny climate if the average conditions prevail. The average highs are around 21°C (70°F) whereas the average lows drop down to 12°C (that is about 54°F) perfect for sleeping.
Most of the trip will be in the Southern Andalucía Region of Spain. Temperatures start to cool off considerably in Andalucía during October, though it is still hot with an average daytime high of 26°C (78°F), while the average low is 14°C (57°F) over much of the region. Coastal areas are generally warmer at night than inland but tend to be quite windy as well.
Make sure to drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen with an SPF that suits your skin to avoid sunburn and heatstroke.
Spain uses the Euro. Below is the current exchange rate to give you an idea of what to bring. Check out this article on recommendations concerning costs food & traveling in Spain: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/Spain/practical-information/money-costs
1 USD = 0.86 Euro
Lunches will generally range from 15.00-20.00 USD and Dinners from 20.00-30.00 USD. Please bring enough cash to suit your personal spending habits and have a debit/credit card as back up.
We recommend 5.00-10.00 EUR per day for our private guide and 2-3.00 EUR per day for our driver. In addition, there will be some 1⁄2 day guides leading us on specific tours only, and we recommend tipping these guides 5.00-10.00 EUR total. Tipping porters and maid service is same as you would anywhere in the world. Tipping is optional but highly encouraged as the travel industry is service based and most guides & staff rely on tips to help supplement their wages. Tipping is not necessary or expected at restaurants but leaving your change or a few dollars is customary.
* In total, we recommend bringing 150.00-250.00 USD to reserve for tipping.
After seeing Spain and other Western European countries, if you find yourself wanting to explore Europe some more, join our Eastern Europe Group Tour now.