Another fantastic adventure has been put together for spring 2020! We’ve combined two of our favorite Southeast Asian destinations for a one-of-a-kind journey throughout Myanmar & Northern Vietnam! From the “Land of 4 Million Pagodas” to a 3 day luxury cruise among the towering limestone islands of Ha Long Bay (nicknamed the 8th Wonder of the World), this incredible itinerary is chock full of the most authentic travel photography you’ll ever get! Check out the details below and get your deposits in soon before it fills up!
Travel Photo of the Day: We took this image of the highly active Poas Volcano in Costa Rica way back on our first trip here in 2012. Since then there has been a major eruption in 2017 and the park just recently opened back up to the public. No better time to join us in this stunningly beautiful and biodiverse wonderland next year!
Marvelous Myanmar and Vietnam
March 19th – 30th 2020
Myanmar (formerly known as Burma) opened its doors to the world less than 10 years ago and we’ve been taking our travel club there ever since. From the bustling night markets and food stalls in the capital, to “The Land of 4 Million Pagodas” in Bagan, our 6 nights here will finish on the stunning Inle Lake, dotted with unique stilt villages, floating gardens, and arguably the most picturesque location in all of Myanmar! It’s time to keep exploring this country as much as possible before too many tourists taint the amazing culture, temples, people, & off the path adventures around every corner.
Next up, 5 nights in Northern Vietnam will take us through Hanoi, the country’s capital and cultural epicenter, the stunning countryside with valleys covered by ancient tribe’s bright green rice paddies among towering karst mountains, & a 3-day luxury cruise in Ha Long Bay to complete this once-in-a-lifetime journey the best way possible! The breathtaking secluded harbor has 2,000 limestone islands rising from the emerald waters of the Bac Bo gulf. It is one of Vietnam’s most scenic regions and has been referred to as the eighth Wonder of the World. Don’t miss this one-of-a-kind itinerary filled with the most authentic travel photography you’ll ever get!
* 11 nights/12 days of unforgettable Myanmar & Northern Vietnam* Charming boutique hotels throughout
* Breakfast Everyday
* 11 Lunches & 7 Dinners Included
* 3 Domestic Flights INCLUDED! (Yangon –> Bagan / Bagan–> Inle Lake/ Inle Lake–> Yangon)
* 1 International Flight INCLUDED! (Myanmar –> Vietnam)
Email for the daily itinerary at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Myanmar (6 Nights)
“Explore the gateway to Myanmar and the commercial & artistic hub. It’s Yangon that most reflects the changes that have occurred since the country reopened to the world. There’s a rash of new restaurants, bars, and shops but in many ways Yangon, formerly known as Rangoon, has hardly changed at all. The city remains focused on Shwedagon Paya, an awe-inspiring golden Buddhist monument around which everything else revolves. Nearby, parks and lakes provide Yangonites with an escape from the surrounding chaos. Then there’s downtown, its pavements one vast open-air market, which is home to some of the most impressive colonial architecture in all Southeast Asia.” – Lonely Planet!* Shwedagon Pagoda: Experience and photograph the 2000-year-old Sule Pagoda, one of the city’s most endearing landmarks
* Colonial Splendor: Stroll along and photograph the beautiful colonial buildings that still dot the city including City Hall and the High Court Building.
* Bogyoke Aung San Market: Commonly known by its old British name of Scott Market, it undoubtedly offers the largest selection of handicrafts in Myanmar. The market is a great place to discover a bargain and have fun haggling with the local traders.
Bagan: “City of Four Million Pagodas”
Bagan is one of the richest archaeological sites in Asia, and with over 2000 pagodas, temples, and monasteries to explore there is certainly plenty to keep us enthralled and snapping away. But there is more to this enchanting destination: rural village life, interesting markets, and artisan workshops just to name a few…
* Explore the Temples and Surroundings: Gubyauknge with its excellent stucco carvings, the impressive Htilominlo Pahto and Ananda Pahto which is one the best-preserved temples in the archeological zone
* Traditional horse cart ride through off the path temples not accessible by car or bus (optional)
* Sunset from the top of a temple! Excellent photograph opportunities while taking in the enormity of the surrounding area
* Optional Hot Air Balloon Ride over Bagan & Temples (World Famous Experience)
* Village visit to witness rural Burmese life (optional)
* Sunset Cruise on the Irrawaddy River.
Inle lake is literally dotted with hundreds of off the path villages and floating gardens. It is one of the most picturesque locations in all of Myanmar. We’ll have fantastic opportunities to explore local markets and interact with the local population. (Great cultural photography here!)* Shwe Yaunghwe Kyaung Monastery: Famous for its unique oval windows.
* Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda: The holiest monastery on the lake with five ancient, gold-covered Buddha images.
* Floating Gardens: Witness the locals ingenious method for growing the plants that are so vital to their survival & daily life.
*The Leg Rowers: Witness and photograph the unique technique of leg-rowing, synonymous with the Intha fisherman throughout the lake.
* The Sagar Villages: Far removed from the hustle and bustle of the main lake we’ll get a glimpse of authentic lake-life as we pass villages, Chinese-style fishing nets, weaving factories, monasteries, stupas, bamboo forests & floating gardens
– On arrival, we’ll witness the town flooded after the construction of a new damn which left numerous stupas and pagodas partially submerged (Amazing photographs!). Once onshore explore the small village’s temples, crumbling stupas, and large monastery. We’ll walk through the center of town, observing local life and photographing smiling locals and schoolchildren from this charming village.
– In the morning join our local community guide for a walking tour around Thar Kaung Pagoda and Thar Ya Khone village to explore the temples, crumbling stupas, and their large monastery. Then we’ll get to learn how they make rice crackers at a small workshop and make some ourselves!
– Enjoy a home-cooked traditional lunch at a local family’s home in Samkar village.
– Relax with a 1-hour trip aboard our unique bamboo raft to admire the beautiful scenery and discover an ancient aqueduct near Khon Thar village with a local community guide and pilot.
Northern Vietnam (5 Nights)
6 days in Northern Vietnam will take us through the Old Quarter of Hanoi on a delicious street food tour, into the stunning countryside to meet the hill tribes among the mountains, and a 3-day exotic cruise in Halong Bay to complete the journey the best way possible! The breathtaking secluded harbor has 2,000 limestone islands rising from the emerald waters of the Bac Bo gulf. It is one of Vietnam’s most scenic regions and has been referred to as the eighth Wonder of the World.
* Hanoi Highlights City Tour: Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Presidential Palace, One Pillar Pagoda, Ho Chi Minh Museum, Temple of Literature (Awesome photographs of the grounds and architecture here!
* Unique Street Food Experience: Lunch and privately guided tour of the hidden but true taste of Hanoi on a discovery walk-through of Vietnamese street cuisine and culture.
* Vintage Motorbike Adventure: Experience the real Hanoi on the back of a motorbike to parts-unknown, with slices of life in the maze of backstreets, tiny alleyways, local homes, schools, and black markets. There’s no better way to see where & how locals live, work, and play!
* Explore the Old Quarter: Lots of great photos to be taken along the old streets, each well-known for a specialized industry. Silk clothing ready-made and tailored, embroidery, silver products, and so much more can be found at the different merchants.
* Hill Tribes & Rice Paddies: A full day adventure to Hoa Binh province filled with bright green rice paddies and colorful lowland ethnic minority tribes, mostly of nomadic Thai origin. We’ll visit the “White Thai” Minority village of Mai Chau. Amazing cultural and landscape photos to be captured here!
Cruise Halong Bay!
A great way to see spectacular Halong Bay is a slow cruise through the seemingly never-ending bay of islands. Lay in the sun, enjoy a selection of the freshest seafood, and take photograph after photograph. On our itinerary, the aim is to get off the beaten track while maintaining a leisurely pace. The size of the vessel allows passengers to get much closer to Halong Bay’s natural wonders, like its pocket lagoons and small fishing communities.
* 2 night/3 Day all-inclusive cruise to the best off the path destinations in Halong Bay
* Deluxe cabins w/ ensuite bathrooms and air conditioning on a traditional Vietnamese style “Junk Boat”
* Explore Bai Tu Long Bay: The largest part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, most beautiful, off the path, and by far least crowded!
* Explore, kayak, & swim among hidden beaches, lagoons, and magical sea caves!
* PhotoFly Travel Club adventures are laid back when it comes to photography. They are not workshop style based tours and you do not need to be an avid photographer to join. All are welcome!
* All Taxes & Transfers Included
We’re beyond excited to announce our new partnership with the extremely successful non-profit, Not Just Tourist. For 25 years their “mission is to help those who urgently need healthcare by matching tourists who are visiting developing countries with local clinics and hospitals in need of medical supplies. Not Just Tourists is the meeting point for travelers and donors. We provide the facilities and connections for hospitals, clinics, and medical suppliers to donate materials, and then we pack them into suitcases for world travelers to bring them where they’re needed most in the countries they’re already visiting anyway!”
On many PhotoFly Adventures going forward we’ll be working with NJT to bring suitcases filled with medical supplies to clinics and hospitals in the same regions we’ll already be exploring!
*If you’re interested in helping out and are signed up for a trip in 2019 already, please email us and we’ll let you know the details and options for that particular trip.
Spread the word about our travel clubs! If you know any friends, colleagues, or family that love to travel invite them to join! It’s free and all are welcome! The larger we get the more trips we can plan each year…
Any questions feel free to contact us anytime as always!
Travel Club Organizer: Steve Juba
978 479 4527
*Please always review our cancellation and refund policy located at the bottom of every trip page before making payments. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
CST # 2101181-40